Monday, January 31, 2011

Garden Treasures

This year I have spent more time in my backyard enjoying my garden.  South Carolina summers are very hot and humid and creating a garden has been a challenge. However, I did not let it defeat me.  My favorite plants that blossomed beautifully were lavender, "hot lips", and plumbago.  While not everything grew successfully, I did get more pleasure from my plants than in summers past.  As spring is approaching, I am hopeful to see what will return.
     The garden became a treasure to our home because it became a place where friends and family gathered often.  No longer was the main attraction simply the swimming pool.  This year, visitors could enjoy the water and the flowers. It was hard work, but it was rewarding work.
     The rewards eventually brought me out of the back yard and allowed me to venture into the front.  My front yard has long been a challenge.  Wanting a fence for privacy purposes has posed many difficulties.  So, this year I tackled the job with foliage.  My entire front lawn has now been secured with plantings of Crepe Myrtles, Gardenias, Ligustrum, and Wintergreen Boxwood.  So far, we have weathered the winter well, considering the record snowfall we have received.  We are anticipating spring and the new life that comes along with season.
     In closing, I will leave you with a photo of one of my favorite garden treasures just before the days grew cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment